Friday, March 14, 2014

2nd Grade Japanese Koi FIsh

2nd Grade Japanese Koi Fish

     2nd graders read the book The Great Wave, which ties in the Japanese tradition of the koi fish, which symbolizes perseverance, or never giving up. Students took a look at some Koinobori, which are sock kites of colorful koi fish. These are flown in Japan during the Japanese children's festival known as Tengo No Sekku. Students then created a mixed media art work of a Japanese koi fish. Students used pencil to draw, Crayola marker that was water painted, and a combination of oil and chalk pastels in the background. For this lesson students worked on the following learning targets:
- I can combine a variety of lines and shapes to create a realistic looking koi fish.
- I can identify and use a set of analogous colors.
- I can overlap and blend colors. 
- I can show careful use of craftsmanship in my work.




No comments:

Post a Comment